How many categories?

Tue Sep 1 14:33:44 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
September 1, 2009

Hi Maria and Steve!

For teaching purposes, Maria, of course, you can word it any way you
wish...just as long as your dissertation makes it clear how the
official ISWA is categorized...as Steve mentioned below..

 From an instruction perspective, to make it easier for people to
understand and to not overwhelm them, maybe categories are not the
point really....you could say we write with 28 groups of symbols...and
that those groups can be summarized as 10 groups of hands, 10 groups
of movement, 5 groups for the face and head, 2 groups for the
shoulders and limbs,  and 1 group for dynamics and timing. And there
is a 29th group for punctuation when writing sentences.

For accuracy, in your dissertation, Steve is right that the term
"Category" in the ISWA is very specific to the numbering system we
used to setup the ISWA...the ISWA will always have 7 Categories
because of the way we numbered the symbols for computerization
purposes...and since you are writing daily with those categories in
SignPuddle without realizing it...we cannot change the categories
now...and I know you are not asking for that...we are just talking
about teaching...

So of course, find all the creative ways you can think of, to teach
people the symbols...smile...

Val ;-)

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help