more handshape orientations

Wed Sep 9 18:45:00 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
September 9, 2009

On Sep 9, 2009, at 11:24 AM, Ingvild Roald wrote:
> I agree that there could not be more shades in the ordinary
> handshape symbol groups. But for research, maybe something extra
> could be provided in the group 30, the one which is used for special
> sorting needs etc.? I am thinking of simple lines or triangles
> ('wedges') that could be added for this spesific purpose?
> Ingvild

Hello Ingvild!
Great to hear from you, and thank you for this idea...I can see that
has some possibilities for the future...

It certainly could be possible in a future version of the ISWA. But
the current symbolset that we have, the ISWA 2008, cannot be changed
or added on to because it is already installed in SignPuddle...maybe
in a few years we can talk about a new ISWA...

In the ISWA 2008, Group 30 provides symbols for detailed location, and
also depth in space, and height and width of signs, to give more
details for looking up signs sorted by the symbols in
SignWriting...sorted by the SSS (Sign-Symbol-Sequence). But we do not
write with these detailed symbols in Group 30...we only sort with them
when we have very large dictionaries where the details are helpful to
determine which sign should come first and second in a group of signs
in a dictionary. So Group 30 doesn't change the writing...only the
sorting...

I believe Honza wanted more detailed palm facing for writing? Or have
I misunderstood, Honza?...If it is only for sorting later then I think
Ingvild's idea could be done with a simple numeric 45 degree marker of
some kind that the general public would never see...

Here is an example of some of the detailed Location Symbols for the
fingers and hand in Group 30 in ISWA 2008...see attached: