Greetings from Cordoba, Argentina!

Roman Caceres rcaceres at FJCLINK.COM
Sun Sep 13 20:12:32 UTC 2009

Hello Val,

I know that Stephen and Vanessa worked a lot on the Paraguayan dictionary
this summer.
It looks great!

Thank you for giving me access as Editor to the Argentine dictionary!
Eventually, Bethany is going work in Sign Puddle. It would be great if she
were able to edit the signs I add them. She could use my account, but it
would be useful for us to know who made the corrections.

Eventually, if someone wants to add signs of another LSA dialect, I am more
than willing to add another "dialect" tag to the signs we have in common.
If I were unsure about what dialect a sign belongs, I would let the
"dialect" tag in blank.

You are right, I prefer to work in the public version of SignPuddle.
I think everything is in place to continue working on the LSA dictionary!

Thanks a lot,

Roman.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Valerie Sutton" <sutton at signwriting.org>
To: "SignWriting List" <sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu>
Sent: Friday, September 11, 2009 8:08 PM
Subject: Re: [sw-l] Re: Greetings from Cordoba, Argentina!

SignWriting List
September 11, 2009

Hello Roman, and Stephen Jones and everyone who knows each other ;-))

I understand, Stephen, that Roman participated in your course at the
SIL workshops this summer? That is great...

Today I received an email from a person from Paraguay...someone new I
have never met before, and when I looked in the Paraguay SignPuddle
and saw all the many signs you and your classroom added over the
summer I was really impressed...Thank you for adding so many signs to
the Paraguay SignPuddle...I believe that interest in SignWriting from
Paraguay is starting now because of your work....

And now Roman and others are adding new signs to the Argentine
SignPuddle Online...very exciting indeed ;-)

So now, Roman, back to your email...Thank you for this interesting
message. We will find the best way for your group to work....so let's
keep talking about it...

First, I just went into the administration behind SignPuddle and made
you an Editor of the Argentine SignPuddle, so technically you can edit
other people's entries. We usually have several editors of each
SignPuddle Online, so if Bethany or someone else, who is knowlegable,
would also like to be an Editor I will be happy to do that for you. Be
sure to Login every time you work in SignPuddle to get the editor's
features...

Second, SignPuddle Online has two kinds of files...OPEN to the public,
and PRIVATE web puddles for group projects. The OPEN puddles are free
for anyone to enter signs in...so sometimes new students will add
signs and perhaps they are not perfectly written, but still a
wonderful learning tool for all classrooms to have a free and open
SignPuddle. The PRIVATE puddles cost $200 per year...although we have
donated some in the past...our non-profit organization could certainly
use the income, but you are not required to do that at all...most
people just use the OPEN SignPuddle because it is free, and also easy
for others, like your students or co-workers, to start using
immediately. And since you are now an Editor, you could technically
change other people's misspellings in Spanish as you mention below...I
looked at some of the other registered users of the Argentine
SignPuddle...people can edit their own signs that they add themselves,
but they cannot change anyone else's signs unless they are an
editor...anyway...one of the writers in the Argentine puddle is from
northern Europe and another from Brazil, so perhaps they wouldn't mind
if you correct their Spanish words ;-))

As an Editor, you are also welcome to go in and label some of the
other signs there, the Buenos Aires dialect, but if you are not sure,
then that is a true complication...

So if you feel that Cordoba Sign Language is a truly separate language
from Buenos Aires, and it might very well be, a little like Catalan
Sign Language in Barcelona, Spain versus the Spanish Sign Language
from Madrid...then I will be happy to create a second SignPuddle just
for the Cordoba dialect, that is OPEN to the public. There might be
some confusion by users in the beginning, if they don't know the
difference themselves...smile...

If you are interested in a PRIVATE web puddle, or possibly working on
your computer desktop without an internet connection, here are
products you can buy:

Private Web Puddles (numbers 2-6 on this page)
http://www.signwriting.org/shop/shop01.html#Software

But I am assuming you want to work free, so tell me what to do
now...since you can now edit the online entries, do you still feel the
need for two sign language dictionaries from Argentina?

And what are other SW List members opinions on the subject of dialects
and dictionaries?

Val ;-)

------

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu