invisible person in ASL storytelling...

Bill Reese wreese01 at TAMPABAY.RR.COM
Fri Sep 18 15:11:25 UTC 2009

That's an interesting idea, Ingvild.  That seems to be a difference,
again, between a linguistic study and a written language.  It's a topic
that would definitely need to be debated - would it be an additional
standard, an option, or would it be too confusing when interpreting a
sign?  In the issue at hand, there is no second man in the signing
itself but there is one in the story.   So does the story line become
what it signed or the movement made by the story teller?  How would we
apply the idea to placement markers, which indicate separate people
within a story - would we be free to add faces to each location to
indicate a person?  Would this lead to adding abstract symbols for other
things, animate and inanimate.  Would sign writing become more iconic
and complex because if it?

Obviously, if the expressive viewpoint can be written without ever being
actually expressed - as in a writer directly writing a story without
transcription of what someone else is signing - then it opens up the
idea of presenting everyone involved in the story - the same as
placement markers would do.  So should we use placement markers and
indicate the second person, as we know how to do now, as a separate
sign, even though a signer may not actually make the placement marker
sign?  In hearing languages, when a speaker leaves out a word or
concept, it is often put in parenthesis in the transcription.

For example: "My son jumped (over) the hurdle."

It clarifies the meaning of what is said.  Could then we put a second
person location marker in parenthesis when a signer does not indicate
one but it's essential to the understanding?

Bill