SignPuddle creating invalid bsw codes?

Thu Apr 1 16:53:54 UTC 2010

SignWriting List
April 1, 2010

Hello Alan and Steve!

THANK YOU, Steve, for your amazing work, and for your collaboration on the ISWA 2010 ;-)

I will post more about this new development myself, soon... Thank you for announcing it to us!

Alan, I am the one running the shopping cart and thank you again for your order of the Lessons in SignWriting Textbook...I can certainly mail that to you promptly...

I can also return your money with no problem through PayPal too...so no worries.

First, did you know that you can download the Lessons in SignWriting Textbook for free on the web?

http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/lessonsw/

It is number 2 on the above web page...

Second...

You can also access a web version of the same textbook on the web:

http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/lessonsw/lessonsweb.html

I am always happy to have a sale of the printed book of course, and there is no problem sending it to you, but I think you should know that it is an older book...The Lessons in SignWriting Textbook was last published in 2002. It is a good textbook for that time period, but since that time, there have been new developments that have built upon the past...including my work with the International SignWriting Alphabet (ISWA 2008 and ISWA 2010), new software developments by Steve and others, and Adam Frost has been working on the ISWA Symbol Lessons with animated GIFs on the web:

ISWA Symbol Lessons (only partially done)
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/iswa/

Adam is traveling to my office in San Diego right now, to work on those animated GIFs...we should have the majority of handshapes up on the web by the end of next week - and then we still need to document the movement symbols etc...

Regarding new updated textbooks...I am working on that project too...There will be a big SignWriting Reference Manual coming, but when I cannot say...The first section of that new book is available for download and sale as well...it is just the first section of a six-section reference manual...This first section is called:

SignWriting Basics Instruction Manual

Download it here:
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/lessonsw/

Or purchase it here:
http://www.signwriting.org/shop/

So write to me privately about whether you still want to purchase the Lessons in SignWriting Textbook or not - It certainly couldn't hurt to own it, since it is the basis for what we are doing now -

Did we change anything since 2002 when the Lessons in SignWriting textbook was published? yes...smile...but you can still use the 2002 textbook as a guide and it will be useful...

Val ;-)

--------