Welcome to a new member from Morocco! - My advice on current translation for ASL and English

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Dec 4 12:23:37 UTC 2010

Okay, the only current way to type in ASL and convert to English is to work with
a very limited vocabulary set (the current ASL-English glosses in the
signwriting dictionary).  One could, conceivably, set up a program to take an
English gloss sentence and translate that into English and ASL. That is the only
way that the current Translator program in the SignPuddle can work that way. One
would have to program a very large phrase set (ME SHOP PAST QUESTION YOU) as
both "I went shopping yesterday, did you?" and the five ASL signs related to it
from the ASL SignPuddle.  It is not instantaneous, but it is possible.

This kind of experimentation is working in Brazil for quadraplegic deaf (those
who have lost the use of their hands), using a light pencil strapped onto their
foreheads, onto a Brazilian Sign Language display screen so that they can use a
common display set of Brazilian signs to be able to be either simply printed as
Brazilian sign or translated phrase by phrase with a vocoder into spoken
Portuguese.  It is in the experimental stages now, but can be done.

Machine translation always requires human intervention to ensure that the
translation is actual human language and not approximation. The various
English-French auto translators are a good first guess, but they aren't true
translations. English to Portuguese is the same way.  Translating a Portuguese
sentence about Brazilian sign language requires one knowing that LIBRAS is the
name of the language, but that libras (lower case) is the Portuguese word for
"books". A machine translation doesn't make a difference between ALL CAPS and
lower case so you'd get "Esses libras se escrivam na LIBRAS" would be translated
as "These books are written in books" rather than "these books are written in
Brazilian Sign Language".