AW: Request for comment on a technical SignWriting document

Fri Dec 24 02:36:38 UTC 2010

Hi Stefan,

I'm glad you appreciate the work.

The Internet Engineering Task Force accepts documents that are for
general use within the Internet community.  Any document submitted to
the IETF must be free from copyright or intellectual properties issues.
The copyright to the IETF ensures that these specifications can be used
freely without worrying about legal issues.

The SVG refinements for the hand shapes are nearing completion.  SVG
will be a reality in early 2011.  I need to update the sentence that you
referenced.

Horizontal writing will return shortly.

A few examples of my classification of SignWriting grapheme: featural,
phonemic, and composite. A phonemic grapheme represents a meaningful
concept such as hand shape, movement, dynamic, timing, head, face, trunk
or limb.  A featural grapheme does not represent a meaningful concept.
Category 5, group 28, base 639 contains finger symbols.  While entire
hand shapes are meaningful, individual fingers are not.  Hand shapes are
phonemic, fingers are featural because they must be combined with other
symbols to form something meaningful.  Arrow stems (fill 4) are another
example.  An arrow represents movement and is meaningful.  An arrow stem
is not meaningful and therefore featural.  Composite symbols are a
combination of other symbols.  The double touch is one example.  The
double touch is a composite of 2 single touches.

Interestingly, there is a composite symbol that Valerie considered
adding, but didn't for the ISWA 2010.  The tension press is a composite
of tension and press.

I created the classification of SignWriting graphemes as featural,
phonemic, or composite specifically for this document.  This represents
my understanding of the SignWriting script.  Others have said that the
entire SignWriting alphabet is featural, but I consider this a
simplistic misapplication of terminology based on voiced language
without understanding signed languages.

Sign text for display is new.  I'll be able to better explain it when I
have a working example.

Thanks for the comments,
-Steve