SWML site...using Group 30 for research

SignWriting signwriting at MAC.COM
Wed Feb 24 15:51:32 UTC 2010

SignWriting List
February 24, 2010

Hello Ingvild and Steve -
I am happy to learn about your new paper, Ingvild, on how SignWriting can be used in research...and I look forward to reading it...whatever you propose will be of interest and is welcome - researchers need to use these symbols, you are right about that...

here are some of my thoughts...

First, I think it would be good to share with you the terminology that Steve and I developed to explain the differences between writing for "everyday use", which we are calling "Spatial SignSpellings" because the symbols are spatially relating to each other in a cluster, and "SignSpelling Sequences" which is the sequence the symbols are placed in, when sorting signs in dictionaries...

Spatial SignSpellings are the way we spell everyday, when writing documents and dictionaries, and the SignSpelling Sequences are for the computerization of sorting dictionaries by sign-symbols.

And yes, Group 30 includes Detailed Location Markers that are used for sorting large dictionaries in SignSpelling Sequences, but are not used for writing Spatial SignSpellings.

Second, there is another use for Group 30 Detailed Location Markers...for linguistic databases such as SignTyp, which may use SignWriting in the future, if a grant comes through. Many thanks to the SignTyp team for your hard work in writing the grant proposal. In the proposal, the Detailed Location Markers are mentioned as useful for linguistic analysis for the SignTyp database...so that is a second use for the symbols in Group 30...to give linguistic details for databases.

Third, the reason we do not need the Detailed Location Markers when writing for everyday use, is because Spatial SignSpellings include the spatial relationship between the symbols, in a visual cluster...that "visual relationship" can be seen well because we place the symbol in the visual location of where it belongs in relationship to the shoulders, or the hips or the face, and so we do not need another symbol to tell us that the hand is over the head, because we place the handshape above the head...so that eliminates the need for these special Detailed Location Markers, making the writing system much easier to read for everyday use...

Fourth, Ingvild, if you wish to use the Detailed Location Markers in Group 30 for your research and for whatever reason you feel is necessary, of course go right ahead and do that...Steve and I may not have realized other uses for Group 30, so if you want to use those symbols for other reasons, that is fine with me and it will be interesting to see how they can be used in other ways in the research community....Keep us informed!

Fifth, regarding those who say that SignWriting cannot write the richness of Deaf storytelling...they have clearly not read the Cat in the Hat! Cherie Wren wrote soooo much detail in the Cat in the Hat in ASL, based on an ASL video, without ever needing any of the Detailed Location Markers in Group 30...Cherie wrote only with the symbols in Groups 1-29, and the writing is rich with sooo much detail, showing everything, that I can hardly imagine the need for more detail...that is my opinion anyway...

Cat in the Hat
http://www.signwriting.org/library/children/CatHat.html

Most of the time, when people say that SignWriting cannot write something, they are speaking from a lack of knowledge of the writing system...they are assuming that is true, without really knowing or learning SignWriting...They know they would have to learn it and analyze a story that is written, like Cat in the Hat, and that takes training and time, and so they assume that it is not worth their time to make the effort...

But, if Group 30 symbols are useful to give them a feeling of hope that we can write the detail, that is fine too...whatever works!

Val ;-)