SWML site

Cherie Wren cwterp at YAHOO.COM
Thu Feb 25 11:32:39 UTC 2010

On another list I am on, there has been a discussion of colleges accepting ASL as a foreign/world language credit.  Someone just posted a liink to a document from the University of California Berkley Language Committee about why ASL should be accepted.  Near the end, this paragraph caught my eye:

"It should be noted that although the Deaf community has generally rejected the idea of writing ASL, and preferred to remain a face-to-face community for daily interaction (using English for written communication, therefore), there is a growing tradition of SignWriting which allows nonlinguists to readily transcribe ASL into written form. This may turn out to be another medium for the dissemination of ASL literature, but the Committee bases its judgment on the current videotaped ASL literary corpus."

The growing tradition of Signwriting...  It feels good to see that.

full document:  http://www.bu.edu/asllrp/fl/berkeley.pdf

cherie

________________________________
From: SignWriting <signwriting at mac.com>
To: SignWriting List <sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu>
Sent: Wed, February 24, 2010 11:25:24 AM
Subject: Re: [sw-l] SWML site

SignWriting List
February 24, 2010

I love Steve's HTML Reference Guide to all of the symbols in the ISWA...

If you click on the links he provides below, for example:

SymbolGroup 28: Dynamics:
http://signbank.org/swis/iswa/59584_sg.html

All the symbols are listed for you, with the names of the symbols, and all the sources needed...a great resource!

As you can see, Steve has given each symbol a "BaseSymbol Number"...so this will make it easy to talk about...for example, the Fast Symbol, is also Number 619, so we can refer to it easier now...