Automated SignSpelling Sequences

Sat Feb 27 17:49:02 UTC 2010

SignWriting List
February 26, 2010

Hello Rachel, Charles, Steve and everyone -

Steve has already programmed an "automated" SignSpelling Sequence. The automated version of the SignSpelling Sequence is not perfect, but it is very close to "one" theory on how to arrange the sequence...Based on the dominant hand first, and the second hand second, in the beginning handshapes...and so forth...

The automated SignSpelling Sequence has not been placed into the actual SignPuddle software yet, but right now, you can take a look at the automated SignSpelling Sequences by clicking on the BSW Analyze button under each sign in SignPuddle Online, and it will show you an "automated" SignSpelling Sequence, IF the writer did not already state what the SignSpelling Sequence should be...the good thing about this is that then, if someone forgets to put in the SignSpelling Sequence in their own way, then the "default" will kick in...

The default is not based on what symbol we wrote first...if we did that, then the Sequences would be a total mess! We would literally have to re-write every sign in SignPuddle, since no one has been asked to write in a certain sequence...For example, when I write a sign that is relating to the face...I write the face first, and then place the hand near the part of the face that the handshape is relating to...if we based the automation on what I wrote first, then the sign would begin with the facial expression, instead of the handshape...so that is why we programmed the automation differently...but it is working...I am really impressed with how close Steve has gotten the automation to work, based on the dominant hand that begins the sign...

The automated SignSpelling Sequences do not use the Detailed Location Markers in SymbolGroup 30, which I believe you might want for the SignTyp linguistic database...

The Detailed Location Markers are not written at all, for everyday use. They don't exist in the writing of the sign, because we can see the Location in a different way, when writing for everyday use. So the automated SignSpelling Sequences cannot include those symbols, since they are not written.

BUT...we can go in manually and place the Detailed Location Markers into any SignSpelling Sequence we want to...so this means that we, the transcribers, working on the SignTyp database, will have the job to go in and place those Detailed Location Markers into the SignSpelling Sequence data...It will be a fun job!

Thank you, Rachel and Charles, for these discussions, and for working with SignWriting and SignTyp - I am really looking forward to using SignTyp in the future...I know it will be a valuable database...;-)

Val ;-)

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help