question for the way to express 'made'

Shane Gilchrist shane.gilchrist.oheorpa at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 10 18:31:50 UTC 2010

Everyone,

sorry for my long silence!

in the world of linguistics, there is an ongoing debate on the tense
systems - one can argue that there is no future tense in the English
language i.e. "I will work"

either way, we know what we are talking about when discussing tenses /
time markers :-)

Trevor: excellent point re: Chinese - I always describe Chinese as a
Lego language ;-) As for Rachel & Bencie saying that there are no
tenses, I guess they were arguing that there are no tenses like the
English language in British Sign Language - to prevent people from
using Signed English, claiming it is part of British Sign Language.
Their book was aimed at the general audience in the UK.

Sandy & Ingvild got it right - with Ingvild's beautiful examples, we
do use a variety of time markers (sound better than tenses IMHO) to
mark the tenses in British Sign Language. Sometimes "last year" is
sufficient when discussing something last year - i haven't read much
on aspects and time markers (bad linguist me-me!)

Trevor: when you first sign "past" when saying something in BSL - it
implies "in the past, we used to have 56k modems" or "we used to go by
boat, now we go by plane" - you cant use it as "simple past tense"
i.e. I ate, I made, etc - okay if you say PAST MY GRANDMOTHER COOK
GOOD PIES WHEN ME VERY-SMALL!

Sandy: yes we do use BEE!/BEEN! a lot - how can i forget that - its
almost the most common sign in BSL!!!

Trevor is very right - it depends on non-manual features in BSL -
sometimes you have to move your shoulders back or your head back/front
to imply - let's not forget our 3 timeline in BSL as well.

GAN LU: You can get in touch with Clark Denmark at your university -
he is a very excellent teacher - he will show you how
time-markers/tense systems works in British Sign Language. Give him my
big greetings if you do meet him

Now that is a very interesting discussion and I am very pleased we
signwriters are making efforts to know our linguistics :-)

Shane