Request for help in videotaping sign languages

Rachel Channon rchannon at SPEAKEASY.NET
Sun Jan 24 22:38:26 UTC 2010

Dr. Harry van der Hulst from the University of Connecticut and I are writing
a grant application for a project that will expand the current SignTyp
crosslinguistic database (http://www.ldc.upenn.edu/signtyp/downloads/) and
add SignWriting.  The goal is to create videotapes of signs of different
languages and SignWriting transcriptions of these videotapes. The results of
this work will be web-based dictionaries for each sign language as well as a
research database.  Each dictionary will include pictorial descriptions of
the concept, SignWriting transcriptions and glosses in both English and the
language spoken in the same area as the sign language, and records for
SignTyp, the research database.  The project should therefore provide
material which will be useful to deaf people, to students of the language,
and to researchers.

We are looking for people who could find and videotape native signers of
various languages.  We would provide a word list (mostly as pictures), and
we would be able to pay something to you and to the person being videotaped.
If you are interested or would like more information, please email me at
rchannon at speakeasy.net.

Rachel Channon
University of Connecticut
Department of Linguistics, Unit 1145