UK SignWriting Workshop August 27, 2010 in Southport

Fri Jul 2 20:24:40 UTC 2010

SignWriting List
July 2, 2010

Hello Maureen and Suzanne and Everyone!

THANK YOU for offering a SignWriting Workshop in the UK on August 27, 2010!

I met with Maureen Doyle and Suzanne Pach today on Skype....It is great to meet you both face to face ;-)

Suzanne and I worked together on SignPuddle today on Skype. I read Suzanne's writing of BSL signs, by reading the writing of the signs "outloud". In other words, I produced the signs...I did the signs...exactly as they are written, without knowing the meaning of the signs. This is an excellent way to be sure signs are well written - when someone who does not know the sign language, can produce the movements correctly based on the SignWriting spelling...and Suzanne's writing is really good and I could read every sign!

And then Maureen and I discussed our two non-profit organizations and I learned a lot about how non-profit organizations function in the UK. It is very similar to here in the US. Maureen has chosen to dedicate her life to teaching BSL and other methods of communication in the UK. I really admire her organization, called "Practice Makes Perfect"! They just won a big award...which is really impressive...

Suzanne will teach the SignWriting workshop on August 27th, under the auspices of Practice Makes Perfect.

I surely hope many Deaf and hearing people will attend the SignWriting workshop!

New materials are being written for the workshop in BSL in SignPuddle, including the writing of BSL materials on a DVD which Maureen has produced. You can look in the Literature Puddle for BSL:

SignPuddle for British Sign Language
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/index4.html#sgn-GB

BSL Literature Puddle
http://www.signbank.org/SignPuddle1.5/index.php?ui=1&sgn=0&sgn=125

In the Literature Puddle, search for the word "farmer" and that will show you the writing of a song in BSL called EIEIO...

THANK YOU again, Maureen and Suzanne -

Val ;-)