new hand configuration - I like this one

Sat Mar 6 16:49:54 UTC 2010

SignWriting List
March 6, 2010

Hello Charles and Ingvild, and Adam and Ramon -

Thank you for this feedback. This has been very helpful...

See attached diagram...

So essentially, a dark small rectangle represents the Thumb protruding in-between fingers in a fist (like the letter T in ASL, or in the handshape below with Adam's picture), but an unfilled or light rectangle represents a finger that is a little higher in a fist, but still in a fist...This is easy to write...

At the moment, the new symbol has to be constructed....it is not in the ISWA yet. So the placement in Group 8 has to wait until a new version of ISWA...that will be several years from now...maybe 2012, who knows?

But it is easy to construct with the ISWA 2008...You can use the Bent-Finger symbol that is under the Limbs area of the ISWA, and place it on a plain square for the fist...or use individual lines to create it...

Ramon - I hope this new symbol is useful to you!

Thanks for your question...I am glad you asked...