SignWriting Report: Erika Hoffman, Anthropological Linguist

Sat Mar 13 00:46:32 UTC 2010

SignWriting List
March 12, 2010

SignWriting Report
From Val's Desk

A Visit with Dr. Erika Hoffman-Dilloway, Anthropological Linguist

Part 1: Introduction...(Part 2 continued next email message)...

Back in January... from January 11-17, 2010...I was so fortunate to have a guest, Dr. Erika Hoffman-Dilloway, a professor of Anthropological Linguistics from Oberlin College, in Ohio.

Erika came to stay with me here in my home, in La Jolla, California. Researchers and SignWriting users, who work on projects that use SignWriting, are welcome to schedule time to meet with me in La Jolla. A week or two spent talking about the issues that surround the project, plus learning SignWriting with private lessons, is a valuable time for all of us. Several groups and teachers and researchers have visited me over the years and all of them continue to use SignWriting in some capacity to this day. So keep this in mind if you have a project. Learning SignWriting and the latest SignWriting software, with the help of a teacher, can be a real plus. And there is ongoing technical support after you leave.

Erika is a researcher who has used SignWriting to transcribe Nepali Sign Language for several years, and the work is quite considerable and ongoing ... So Erika is not new to SignWriting, but we still had much to discuss nonetheless...in fact we did nothing but talk for a whole week - ha! ;-))

Perhaps you remember Erika? We discussed Erika's research on the SignWriting List, back in October of 2009... For example...You can view some of Erika's work with Nepali Sign Language here:

http://www.linguisticanthropology.org/journal/web-enhanced-articles/web-enhanced-article-metasemiotic-regimentation-in-the-standardization-of-nepali-sign-language/

http://www.linguisticanthropology.org/journal/web-enhanced-articles/web-enhanced-article-metasemiotic-regimentation-in-the-standardization-of-nepali-sign-language/nepali-sign-language-video-1/

And to read some of our SignWriting List messages, here is a posting by Erika about her research:

October 22, 2009
http://majordomo.valenciacc.edu/pipermail/sw-l/2009-October/004300.html

and here is another message back in December, pasted below (this report is continued next message...)