embedding ASL in pdf/html

Alan Post alanpost at SUNFLOWERRIVER.ORG
Tue Mar 23 17:15:34 UTC 2010

Thank you Valerie!

Using Adam Frost's website as a reference, I've uploaded the swis
software to my website and created my first few written signs.  I
wrote a blog entry about this here:

  http://lodockikumazvati.org/prekarni/20100323_signwriting/

I got the basic software working last night, and polished it enough
to publish this morning.  Uploaded the swis software took a bit, and
I had to make modifications to other parts of my blog to deal with
the fact that I was suddenly dealing with 70 megabytes of data for a
website that had been a few megabytes before.  Those problems are
all solved, however!

Speaking of cultural and social ramifications of written sign
languages, I'll briefly describe my own website.

The title is "lo do ckiku ma zvati," which is a Lojban[1] phrase
meaning "Your keys, they are where?"  Or "Where are your Keys?"

"Where are your Keys?"[2] is a language fluency game designed by Evan
Gardner.  He is working to revitalize endangered languages,
particularly First Nation languages in the United States, where often
there is no cirriculum, or when there is a written material for a
language, it isn't in a form available to non-linguists.  Many of
the people he works with come from oral cultures--there is no
written form of their language.

An essential feature of "Where are you Keys?" is to sign what you
are speaking.  In this way you engage multiple senses in learning
new words.  It is also more obvious to other players when you make a
mistake, because there is a difference between what you speak and
what you sign.

I've been working with Evan Gardner and his partner Willem Larson
for several months now on "Where are your Keys?"  My own focus is
developing material for the constructed language Lojban, but it is
my hope that some of what I'm doing will be useful in a more general
domain.

I've spoken directly to one person in the Deaf Community about "Where
are your Keys?"  The game didn't really engage him, and he mentioned
feeling a bit like "Where are your Keys?" was appropriating sign
language.  I don't have a well formed opinion on this, though in
action I'm clearly working with the game, and I know personally I
would not have been exposed to ASL or be excited about learning to
sign where it not for this game.

I would love to hear the perspective of you or other people on this
list.  SignWriting solves a problem in a near-ideal way for me, as I
discuss in my blog entry.  I'm not certain whether my using
SignWriting creates problems of its own.

-Alan

[1]: http://lojban.org/
[2]: http://whereareyourkeys.org/