embedding ASL in pdf/html

Sat Mar 27 01:13:55 UTC 2010

SignWriting List
March 26, 2010

Hello Alan -
This is very interesting - a unique project -

The reason we do not line up symbols and signs with a baseline, is because SignWriting is written in vertical columns most of the time, and when the signs are written from left to right in our older software, SignWriter DOS, the signs are lined up by a "center point" for the cluster of symbols in a sign, rather than lined up on a baseline. A baseline is used for spoken languages written with the Roman alphabet, but other writing systems do not all use baselines...

But I can see that you are placing the signs on the same horizontal line with other characters of the Roman alphabet, so of course I can see your need for a baseline...We write real ASL in vertical columns for grammatical reasons...

Regarding the image quality...we get quite good image quality using ColumnMaker in SignPuddle - I do not understand quite, how you are using the software, but if you want to see a way to reduce signs in better quality on screen, using SignPuddle, I can show you -

But you are using the SignWriting Image Server, so I am not a programmer and I do not understand what you have access to...regarding features...I guess ColumnMaker, a feature in SignPuddle, is not really a part of the SignWriting Image Server...(smile...I may be wrong ;-))

Val ;-)

---------