SignWriting Videos on YouTube, Shores Deaf Church

Fri May 7 14:48:23 UTC 2010

SignWriting List
May 7, 2010

Dear SignWriting List:

SignPreach, on YouTube, is the Shores Deaf Church in Michigan. The Shores Church, directed by Pastor Ron Dettloff, uses SignWriting during their sermons. Bible passages written in SignWriting are projected on a large screen near the podium, and churchgoers come to the podium to read from the SignWriting documents "outloud" in ASL.

Recently we donated 10 copies of the Gospel According to John books to the Shores Deaf Church. The books include the first seven chapters of the Gospel According to John, translated into ASL from the NLT by Nancy Romero.

Gospel According to John
http://www.signwriting.org/library/bible/Gospel_John.html

The Shores Deaf Church teach Bible lessons now, using the books. The first session was taught by Deaf teacher Maria Orlow (see Ron's message below)... and they have requested 25 more copies, so their Deaf churchgoers can take their own copy of the book home with them. Today I am going to order the printing of 25 more copies to make this donation to them.

I feel very elated to think that groups of Deaf people are now reading scripture because of our books...and thank you to everyone who made this possible.

Ron is taking videos of Deaf churchgoers reading SignWriting outloud in ASL, and Ron has received permission from everyone to post the videos on our SignWriting web site. So I will be creating a web area for the information and video viewing...but right now, you can visit them on YouTube:

Shores Deaf Church on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/user/signpreach

Some of their SignWriting-related videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wPXwV4f60o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkh__Y4SRf0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY4MSVHZh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5hj-QoFKms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c8ercIuces

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q7GUtgWzM8

and more will be posted in the future...

Val ;-)