Exporting from SignPuddle

Fri May 14 13:57:57 UTC 2010

Hi Jonathan,

Import / Export needs revamped.  I am working on SPML (SignPuddle Markup
Language) which will cover all of the information available in
SignPuddle.  Perhaps you can review and comment when I have it ready.

SignMail...  Needs an update.  I may add it to SWIS.

BSW will be the standard for SignWriting data.  SPML will use BSW hex
data rather than BSWML or the build string.

Implementing BSW shouldn't be too hard.  SWIS contains 2 separate
working implementations; one in PHP and another in JavaScript.  As long
as you can understand regular expressions, it should be relatively easy.

Keep up the good work on the Studio.  Sorry to force updates with the
standards.  The ISWA 2010 is really worth it and it will be stable for a
long time to come.  BSW is really superior to the other formats and it
is UTF-8 compatible.

Here's a truncated BSW primer...

Each character of BSW can be represented by a single ASCII token:
# B = SignBox Marker
# L = Left Lane SignBox Marker
# R = Right Lane SignBox Marker
# h = Hand Symbol
# m = Movement Symbol
# d = Dynamic Symbol
# 1 = Head Symbol
# 2 = Trunk Symbol
# 3 = Limb Symbol
# n = Number Character
# Q = Sequence Marker
# s = Sequence Symbol
# P = Punctuation Symbol

An entire sign text can be validated with a single regular expression:
([LBR]([hmd123]nn)*(Q[hmd123s]+)?|P)+

We can even evaluate a SignSpelling Sequence to determine if it is
regular.
Q[h*(md)*]+[123s]*

A regular SignSpelling Sequence is espoused by Val as described in the
SignSpelling Guidelines PDF.  A regular SignSpelling Sequence places all
of the location markers after the hands and movement.  Charles advocates
an irregular spelling where location is mixed with the hand shapes.
Time will tell which is better, but we have a simple check to determine
if it is regular or irregular.

Regards,
-Steve