SignWriting Encyclopedia Projects...new SignWriting Wiki

Sat May 29 14:22:45 UTC 2010

SignWriting List
May 29, 2010

Hello Gerard!
Thanks so much for this message, which mentions that we now have the incubator needed to move step by step forward, towards acceptance as an ASL Wikipedia someday, through the proper procedures required by the Wikimedia Foundation. We want to do everything needed to make this happen...

Steve is working towards solving the technical issues. I know Steve is working on, for example:

1. wiki links

2. images in text

3. the entire user interface needs to be written in a sign language in SignWriting, not in English, like it is now

4. right now, the SignWriting MediaWiki Plugin, which the SignWriting Wiki is using, is a "read only" viewer, and the articles in SignWriting are being brought in, once they are written in other software, such as SignPuddle Online for example...so one of the big goals is to add the SignText Editor to the SignWriting MediaWiki Plugin so articles are written directly in the SignWriting Wiki, rather than in other software - when that happens, it will be a big step forward...

Those are four things I know of right now...but I think it is important that Steve gives us his real "to-do-list" from his perspective, because I am really just a lay person watching this unfold with great joy, and partially clueless about the software development behind the scenes ;-))

But I am sooooo happy and grateful to all of you for creating this step forward...It is exciting to read the articles in the SignWriting Wiki!

Val ;-)