Data exchange with SignPuddle Markup Language

Thu May 20 18:23:38 UTC 2010

Hi List,

I'm requesting comments on an early draft for SignPuddle Markup Language
(SPML), a data exchange format for SignPuddle 2.  This format is
compatible with current SignPuddle data.

In simple terms, a puddle is filled with entires.  Each entry can have
multiple items.  Each item has a defined language and can have a name,
text, and a source.  Here is an abbreviated example for an entry from
the ASL Dictionary.

<entry id="29">
  <item lang="ase">
    <name>00800112f9c4f9d6011af9abf9de6640f9c6f9e570c4f9c6f9f4</name>
    <src>Valerie Sutton</src>
  </item>
  <item lang="en">
    <name>cannot</name>
    <src>Valerie Sutton</src>
  </item>
  <item lang="en">
    <name>can't</name>
    <src>Valerie Sutton</src>
  </item>
</entry>

The DTD is available for review: http://www.signpuddle.net/spml.dtd (0.5
KB).

I have converted the ASL/English user interface:
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2/data/ui/1.spml (25 KB).

I have converted the ASL/English dictionary puddle:
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2/data/sgn/4.spml (3.6 MB).

I have converted the ASL/English literature puddle:
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2/data/sgn/5.spml (905 KB).

Since these files are text, they can be compressed by 70% to 80%.  The
entire ASL/English dictionary puddle is only (570 KB) when zipped.

Regards,
-Steve