on the cognitive architecture pertaining speech (speechreading & alphabetical reading) and sign (SW representation & processing: reading & spelling)

Sat Sep 4 20:47:46 UTC 2010

SignWriting List
September 4, 2010

Hello Fernando, and everyone on the SW List...

Thank you, Fernando, for this interesting message. I really enjoyed reading it.

On Sep 2, 2010, at 2:11 PM, fernando capovilla wrote:
> You are right, yes, of course. No one here means to compare SW and line drawings. Each has a purpose for a different need in different circumstances with different people.

Yes, but each has importance...and you were telling me about the different regions in Brazil have different dialects, and how different the signs are all over the country, and some signs or dialects have never been documented - I can see why you need the line drawings and also the drawings that try to capture what the sign means, that are fun and sometimes funny...those are really terrific and I have received several comments from people that they like those illustrations - I do too ;-))

> I just mentioned that research because, when we think about reading and writing acquisition in SW, we need to address all reading-spelling routes and strategiess by left and right cerebral hemispheres, and that includes, in the left hemisphere,  both perilexical route (pertaining encoding sign forms into print via SW by transcribing sequentially each parameter and chereme and allocher - in a way somewhat similar to phoneme-grapheme encoding in alphabetical spelling by hearing children, which is processed in the perisylvian area encompassing both Wernicke and Broca areas) and lexical route (pertaing visual recognition of phenomenological similarity between sign shape and SW rendition, as familiarity evolves with SW forms which allows for fluent reading and spelling in SW); and in the right hemisphere, the logographic route which leads to the semantic lexicon via pictorial lexicon. We can see the importance of the logographic route in people whose only strategy available (be
 it due to congenital left brain lesion in the case of developmental dyslexia, or acquired left brain lesion in the case of aphasia, or due to lack of opportunity to acquire literacy) is to use the right cerebral hemisphere. Both hearing and deaf people with extensive lesion of the left cerebral hemisphere (peri-sylvian area) are prevented from phonological and cheremic processing, respectively, and, thus, cannot process SL, alphabetical writing, SW the same linguistic way and, then, have to resort to logographic reading-writing whose access to semantic lexicon is mediated by pictorial lexicon (which is made of pictures, not unlike the line drawings I studied in that elaborate assessment I described).

Wow. Your research is so impressive - Neurological linguistics, studying the brain and how it processes language... I can see it is a very complex issue, how people absorb knowledge....

> That is why we frequently resort to pictorial communication in support for aphasic deaf people or illiterate deaf children, especially those with hearing parents with poor access to sign language. In summary, I meant to talk about line drawings not as candidates to replace SW. I mentioned line drawings as one of the most important foundations needed to support any kind of language system, be it primary as SL or speech, be it secondary as SW or the alphabet. I really appreciate the opportunity for making myself clear.

Yes.  you did and it is very interesting and educational - You are doing important work-

> Thank you very much for the attention regarding such crucial aspects of the cognitive architecture of the mind which are so relevant to SW and its representation and processing in the deaf mind. I am very glad we talked about because we share the same desire to see young deaf kids (including dyslexic and aphasic ones) reading and spelling fluently. The beautiful work conducted in that regard by great people in this list may benefit from the importance of discussing these issues. We are conversing about solid cognitive models that help explain why we see so many illustrations when we inspect literacy acquisition books in any language around the world. They are there for a very very good reason. We are conversing about that reason. And in by so doing we increase the likelihood of success for our literacy materials. Even though W maps signs in a clearcut way, so much so that sign meaning illustration is unnecessary, there are so many SL in the world and so many levels of SL vo
 cabulary proficiency that I risk my reputation to say that should we include illustrations that helped acquire SL (both as a foreigner and as an imature deaf child who has been prevented from acquiring fluent signing), we would increase the interest and penetration of SW. Perhaps that mey be biased because in this country of mine SL has become fashionable only very recently. Interest in Libras is widespread. If I can teach simultaneously Libras and SW by adding line drawings, I will do so because I know that is efective. It is fun when we think differently. That is the main reason for conducting experiments: so that the difference of opinions may give birth to comprehension, understanding, progress. Nice talking. Thanks for the kind support.
> Fernando Capovilla

Yes.I agree with everything you said - beautifully explained above - Keep us informed about your research -

Thank you so much for your beautiful dictionaries, Fernando!

http://www.signwriting.org/brazil/NovoDeitLibras.html

Val ;-)

---------