Binary SignWriting history and conversion

Mon Apr 18 15:19:29 UTC 2011

Hi Alan,

Binary SignWriting was an attempt to use character data to encode sign
texts.  While the plain text of symbols (1-dimensional strings) remains
the foundation of BSW, the additional characters of structure and number
have been eliminated from BSW.

Over the past year, I've made several key distinctions and improvements
to the data standards for sorting, layout, and Unicode integration.  BSW
now only deals with symbol identity.  BSW no longer includes characters
for layout or annotation.  The BSW foundation is expressly defined and
can be used with any real or theoretical higher level text encoding for
SignWriting that uses the ISWA 2010.
http://www.signpuddle.net/plaintext

I have restored the BSW 3A links for SignPuddle 1.5; however, these
links will not exist in SignPuddle 1.6. Testing will begin shortly.

Because there are several historical data formats being used, I will
create a conversion package for the historical BSW data formats.  You
will be able to use it online or downloaded (requires php environment).

The new Cartesian SignWriting data format is able to fully encode
SignWriting.  It uses the latest Unicode proposal and includes an ASCII
equivalent data format.  CSW will be a stable standard for many years to
come.

I have converted the SignPuddle 1.5 data set to the new CSW format for
SignPuddle 1.6.  You can download an entire puddle as a single XML file.

The ASL - English dictionary is a 3MB.
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle1.6/data/spml/sgn4.spml

You can open the SPML file in any standard text editor or specialized
XML editor.  By using search, copy and paste: you can access the sign
language data directly.

After SignPuddle 1.6 goes live, I will finalize work on the updated
SignWriting Image Server.  I can prepare a development snapshot of SWIS
if you are interested.

Regards,
-Steve