QUESTION: Can we write left-handed signing?

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Feb 7 18:34:05 UTC 2011

The dark arrow is for the right hand, the white arrow is for the left hand.  If
you write your language left-hand dominant, that is fine, but left and right
don't change. The arrows are for which hand is used, not which is dominant.

Fingers follow the hand.  The whole system is built for both hands.

Charles

________________________________
From: Valerie Sutton <sutton at SIGNWRITING.ORG>
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACC.EDU
Sent: Mon, February 7, 2011 1:09:21 PM
Subject: QUESTION: Can we write left-handed signing?

SignWriting List
February 7, 2011

QUESTION:

On Feb 2, 2011:
> Hello!
> There is one thing I was wondering about ; I « sign » with my left hand, and
>the the writing is made for right handed persons. I haven't read enough to know
>if the inversion in writing can pose a problem in the understanding. As a left
>handed person I would, for example,automatically inverse the place of the dark
>side on the drawing on the hand « flat » : I would put It on the left side
>rather than on the right side. I would also, on the drawing of the hand with
>finger, put the stick representing the thumb on the right side. It trouble me
>much when I »m trynig to learn. Is the inversion accepted?
> I go on descovering the Sign Writing. I will surely rewrite. Have an nice day!

---------

ANSWER:

Thank you for this message and your question....

Go right ahead and write left-handed signing - no problem!

It is accepted to write either way.

Writing left-handed signing or right-handed signing - BOTH can be written in
SignWriting and there is no problem reading it...

Just as there is no problem in real life...when you look at a left-handed signer
or a right-handed signer - we can all understand each other, whether we are
signing to each other, or reading it in SignWriting...

In our formal SignWriting documents, we choose to write right-handed signing,
because most signers are right handed, so that is our standard way of
publishing...but we do have some publications written in left handed signing -

Right now you notice this more, because you are new to SignWriting, but later it
will become less important until you get used to reading it either way -

I have more to tell you about left-handed and right-handed signing next
message...

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List:
sw-l at listserv.valenciacc.edu