Call: The holy quest for an IPA-indexed table of correspondences among units of: IPA, Visemes (pics), SpeechWriting, Graphemes

fernando capovilla fcapovilla3 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 12 21:16:30 UTC 2011

Dear Valerie:
Wow! Great pictures! Quite impressive work Stefen has done!
I admire especially the one indicating that spelling improves as consequence
of SpeechWriting.
You know. The reason why I am so enthusiastic about it is because there is
plenty of experimental evidence showing that deaf people with good literacy
skills resort to the visemic mental representation of speech as they read.
That is, the evoke the mental visual representations of speech as they read.
The gaps in the correspondences between visemes and graphemes explain a
large amount of spelling errors they make. SpeechWriting is a way of nailing
down the units involved in such a phenomenon, so as to reveal the best way
of filling in those gaps with supplemental handshapes. I simply loved this
picture you sent of the deaf child transcribing speech. For all the
theoretical reasons in the world, I am really enthusiastic about it.
Congratulations to Stefan. Let us cite that beautiful work of his, and
expand on it!
Cheers,
Fernando