New to SignWriting

Sun Feb 13 15:15:11 UTC 2011

SignWriting List
February 13, 2011

On Feb 12, 2011, at 8:12 PM, Paul William Ellis wrote:

> In would also like to know if there is a beginner's class.  Paul William
> Ellis, PWEllis at enablelight.com

--------

Hello Paul!
I am very glad you wish to learn SignWriting...and many thanks to Stefan who answered your message too...

There are three ways to learn SignWriting:

1. Learn for free right here on the SignWriting List ... you can start any time... (see below)

2. arrange for a workshop, and pay for a teacher to travel to teach the workshop in your area (this will take time to arrange)

3. take private lessons with me on Skype (write to me if you want private lessons ;-)

So I will assume you prefer to learn for free right here on the SignWriting List? Most people learn SignWriting this way....

Below is how to start....

LEARN FREE HERE ON THE LIST

The first task?... Download this textbook, and then start asking questions here on the List...

1. Go to:

SignWriting Lessons
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/

On the above web page, scroll down, and download Number 1:

http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs6/sw0550-SignWriting-Manual-Part1-Basics.pdf

The 2nd task?

2. Go to SignPuddle ASL Dictionary Online:

ASL Dictionary in SignPuddle
http://www.signbank.org/SignPuddle1.5/searchword.php?ui=1&sgn=4

Place an asterisk in the search field, and press the Search Button...that lists all of the signs in the database - click on words and start exploring the dictionary. To write your own signs, click on the SignMaker icon on the left of the screen, to start writing your own signs..

Of course you will have questions! Start asking here on the List and you will receive answers -

Thanks for your interest in learning SignWriting - I look forward to hearing from you -

Val ;-)

858-456-0098

Valerie Sutton
Sutton at SignWriting.org