SVG is now available in SignPuddle for individual signs

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Feb 24 18:22:20 UTC 2011

Steve and Val,

Any hope of the Ethiopian characters in ISWA 2010? I'd be happy to pixel them
myself if I had to.  Right now, at least three of therm are not in the ISWA 2010
which will mean construction if they have any rotations.  I'm going through the
Ethiopian dictionary over the next week or two.

Charles

________________________________
From: Steve Slevinski <slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET>
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACC.EDU
Sent: Thu, February 24, 2011 1:16:52 PM
Subject: Re: SVG is now available in SignPuddle for individual signs

Hi Val,

The SVG is using the ISWA 2010. The link was created using the conversion
routines for SignPuddle 1.6. Please let me know if you find any errors.

The data uses the Cartesian SignWriting markup with proposed Unicode characters.
The data is compatible with a much smaller (2 to 6 times smaller) ASCII markup
called Kartesian SignWriting which uses symbol keys instead of the proposed
Unicode characters.

The data is based on the ISWA 2010 symbols. Four different strings are important
to know for each symbol.

The first symbol of the ISWA 2010 has the symbol key "S100-0-0". The BSW string
expands the key to create: 100-38c-392. This converts to proposed Unicode:
𝠀𝪌𝪒. This is encoded in URL links using UTF-8 as
%F0%9D%A0%80%F0%9D%AA%8C%F0%9D%AA%92.

All of the following links are equivalent:
http://www.signbank.org/swis2/glyph.php?style=svg&key=10000
http://www.signbank.org/swis2/glyph.php?style=svg&bsw=10038c392
http://www.signbank.org/swis2/glyph.php?style=svg&sym=𝠀𝪌𝪒
http://www.signbank.org/swis2/glyph.php?style=svg&sym=%F0%9D%A0%80%F0%9D%AA%8C%F0%9D%AA%92

If we can get a symbol font working for the proposed Unicode characters, we
would see the symbol image rather than the proposed Unicode string of 𝠀𝪌𝪒 and
maybe even %F0%9D%A0%80%F0%9D%AA%8C%F0%9D%AA%92.

For sanity and easy of use, I prefer working with the symbol key, such as
"S-100-0-0". The last 2 digits can be thought of as individual rotary dials. The
second to last has a dial from 0 to 5. The last digit has a dial from 0 to 9
then a, b, c, d, e and f.

The first symbol in base 100
S-100-0-0
http://www.signbank.org/swis2/glyph.php?style=svg&key=10000

Rotated symbol in base 100
S-100-0-1
http://www.signbank.org/swis2/glyph.php?style=svg&key=10001

The last symbol in base 100
S-100-5-f
http://www.signbank.org/swis2/glyph.php?style=svg&key=1005f

The day for the ISWA 2010 in SignPuddle approaches quickly. I'm hoping for a
smooth transition and I'm looking forward to leveraging the new data formats.

Regards,
-Steve