AW: how would you like to improve the SignWriting List?

SignWriting signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon Jan 3 15:48:28 UTC 2011

SignWriting List
January 3, 2011

> On Jan 3, 2011, at 12:57 AM, Lucy wrote:
> Your argument is that a new web forum would be too complicated etc. - I understand this very well as I can imagine that people (especially young people, web 2.0 generation) new to SW may think that a mailing list must be a complicated and outdated thing. So, I see that none of you are interested in a web forum and I don't feel encouraged enough to set up one :-/. Lucy

---------

Hello Lucy -

I want to thank you for these ideas and suggestions - they are showing the differences in generation, and also the differences in purposes for Lists...I am sorry if our List is not ready to move their home to another home...moving is tiring and we are happy in the home we have lived in for over 15 years.

Younger people need to take the initiative to setup web 2.0 sites for SignWriting, as the older generation are just stick-in-the-muds!

We get used to one way of working, so I guess you can't expect too much from us here on this List...some of our List members have been on the SignWriting List since the late 1990's, and most members who have stayed this long are used to it and comfortable here...so you need new young people who are interested in SignWriting to start a new web 2.0 site...starting fresh with a whole new group of young people...the next generation of signwriters...

Although I want to learn web 2.0, I am not the person to create a web 2.0 presence for SignWriting... it needs to be the younger generation...that is why I thought maybe you could do that if you want...but it will take time to find the new people...

Meanwhile, the SignWriting Listserve was established to give technical support to users - 1. how to spell signs in SignWriting, 2. how to transcribe videos in SignWriting, 3. how to use SignWriting software, 4. discussions on linguistics and education and programming and so forth...BUT...it also has another purpose that is separate...5. it is archived for historical purposes so we can write the History of SignWriting based on the messages posted on the List, so I use the List as a way to announce new developments in the history of SignWriting, which are then archived and referenced later...

So web 2.0 is important, but the SW Listserve is not the place to get the web 2.0 members - we need to find a way to reach out to the web 2.0 generation - smile - I think this has been an important discussion and I will think about this...

signwriting at mac.com

Post Messages to the SignWriting List:
sw-l at listserv.valenciacc.edu

http://listserv.valenciacc.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=SW-L&A=1