SignPuddle 1.6 is live

Thu Jul 21 14:44:04 UTC 2011

Hi Stephen,

I heard there was a group that needed sign SVG, so I replaced the link
for sign SVGs in SignPuddle 1.6.  Eventually, the customize sign page
will include SVG.  Currently, ColumnMaker supports SVG for sign texts
rather than individual signs.

The graphics are being produced by the SignWriting Image Server (SWIS).
If you modify the HTTP request, you can modify the graphics created.

If we consider this image link:
http://signbank.org/signpuddle1.6/glyphogram.php?style=svg&name=hello&text=AS14711S22a07S2ff00M47x17S2ff00n18xn18S22a0734xn25S1471119xn14

The substring "style=svg" is the important part.  You can add a 1, 2, 3,
4, or 5 to the end of svg to produce "style=svg1", "style=svg2",
"style=svg3", "style=svg4", or "style=svg5".

The default SVG, "style=svg" or "style=svg1", is an active work in
progress of manual refinements.  I have the latest updates from Adam
Frost, but I haven't packaged them for SWIS yet.  The other 4 SVG
options are based on polygon tracing.  The 5th SVG style is very
interesting.

There are 4 styles of PNG: png1, png2, png3, png4.  Simply modify the
image link.

There is even a ASCII style: "style=txt".
http://signbank.org/signpuddle1.6/glyphogram.php?style=txt&name=hello&ksw=AS14711S22a07S2ff00M47x17S2ff00n18xn18S22a0734xn25S1471119xn14

Check out the ISWA Font Library for more details:
http://www.signpuddle.net/iswa

For any graphic produced by the SWIS, you can add custom attributes to
the graphic URL.

Beyond the style attribute, you can also use...
* size=1 - Any decimal value, such as .5 is small and 2 is larger
* pad=0 - Any positive number for a padded border around the sign
* bound=c, v or h - Type of bounding box: Centered, Vertical, or Horizontal
* line = 000000 - Color string of line
* fill = ffffff - Color string of opaque fill pattern for some symbols
* back = ffffff - Color string of background
* colorize = 1 - Flag to colorize symbols based on symbol feature

Here a slightly longer URL with additional options:
http://signbank.org/signpuddle1.6/glyphogram.php?bound=h&size=2&colorize=1&back=ddffdd&style=svg&name=hello&ksw=AS14711S22a07S2ff00M47x17S2ff00n18xn18S22a0734xn25S1471119xn14

Notice the "bound=h" which sets a horizontal bounding box and puts the
center of the head at the center of the image.

Notice "size=2" for a larger size.

Notice "colorize=1" that changes the line color based on symbol feature.

Notice "back=ddffdd" which sets a light green for the background color.

Hope that helps,
-Steve