literacy project

Tue Jul 26 19:13:14 UTC 2011

SignWriting List
July 26, 2011

On Jul 25, 2011, at 2:22 PM, Kimberly Berger wrote:
> I am looking for information regarding your literacy project and Sign Writing.  Are you still collecting data?  Have you published the results of your study?  Where can I find more information?  I teach ASL Linguistics at a local community college within an interpreter program.  In addition to an introduction to Sign Writing, I would like to share the latest with your literacy project.
> Thanks!
> Kimberly Berger
> Instructor, John A. Logan College

--------------------

Hello Kimberly!
Welcome to the SignWriting List, and thanks for your question. I am glad Erika answered you too, because as a researcher from Oberlin College, Erika's research on SignWriting is important. I am looking forward to reading her article myself ;-))

First, have you already found this link?

SignWriting Literacy Project Home
http://www.signwriting.org/forums/teachers/

Did you scroll down that page to click on all the links to the various SignWriting Literacy Project groups? Most of those took place from 1998 until around 2005, but after that, some continued and new ones started using SignWriting in the schools without actually joining or being a part of our specific project...so there are more groups today using SignWriting around the world...but it is not directed by my non-profit organization...it is just "out there in the world" and then I feel so blessed when I hear about a new project that I had never heard of, and that SignWriting is really being used generally by many - of course that makes it harder to collect statistics, but there are some statistical studies too...

I will write again soon with more information about those studies...

Perhaps you would like some materials to share with your ASL Linguistics students? I will be happy to mail you in the postal mail, some materials if you wish...Write to me privately with your street address and I can mail that to you -

Meanwhile look for my next email message with more information -

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List:
sw-l at listserv.valenciacollege.edu