Rotation Symbols

Fri Mar 4 18:48:28 UTC 2011

SignWriting List
March 4, 2011

Hello Olga and Everyone!
The book you mention below is a good book on SignWriting, written by Steve and Dianne Parkhurst, from Spain, so the examples of the signs are from Spanish Sign Language, and their illustrations are terrific, all done by Steve Parkhurst. It is a little out of date because it was written in 2007 and published in 2008 and there are some new developments since, however, when it comes to these Rotation Symbols, I really like their illustrations...When you download their book, go to PDF page 102, (numbered page 96). Here is a screen capture of the top half of that page:

The double-stemmed center-lines of the symbol represent the forearm parallel to the Front Wall, or your chest. The curves show the curve of the Rotation. Think of the path your baby finger paints, or your thumb paints, as the arm curves...that single curved line is painting the path of your baby finger...or your thumb, as the arm twists...

Val ;-)

-------

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List: