ISWA 2010 for Implementers

Alan Post alanpost at SUNFLOWERRIVER.ORG
Mon May 2 18:09:09 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 12:56:44PM -0500, Steve Slevinski wrote:
> Hi Jonathan and list,
>
> I believe I have finalized the SignPuddle Online data conversion.  Many
> sign languages are represented.  Each puddle is available as a single
> XML file.  These files are meant for programmers and analysts.
> Thousands of sign entries organized in XML files that can be efficiently
> processed.  Please let me know of any problems.
>
> You can access the SPML files directly:
> http://signbank.org/signpuddle1.6/data/spml
>
> Or you can try the SignPuddle 1.6 beta.  Navigate to the Export page of
> the desired puddle and export the source for the entire puddle:
> http://signbank.org/signpuddle1.6
>
> The proposed Unicode symbol strings have not been stable.  Several
> changes have occurred over the years.  The last change for SignPuddle
> was initiated April 29th by an agreement Jonathan and myself.  This
> agreement is consistent with Michael Everson's preliminary Unicode
> proposal of April 4th with the addition of 2 characters.
>
> I'm proud to say the ISWA 2010 has been stable since July 6th, 2010.  No
> symbol design or details have changed.
>
> If anyone else has implemented the ISWA 2010 in software, database, or
> design model, please let me know about it.  How do you identify symbols?
>
> Regards,
> -Steve

Yay!

I got to the signpuddle 1.6 url, select the US Dictionary, and export
export the "Entire Puddle."  After downloading the file, I tried to
locate this entry (a sign I entered for Wikipedia):

http://signbank.org/signpuddle1.6/searchword.php?ui=1&sgn=4&sid=10932&search=Wikipedia&type=any

I can't locate this entry in the sgn4.spml file I've downloaded.
Did I make an incorrect assumption about what data is being exported?
Is that symbol in the export?

-Alan
--
.i ma'a lo bradi ku penmi gi'e du