question about 6 configurations of SignWriting

Mon May 2 22:31:17 UTC 2011

SignWriting List
May 2, 2011

Claudia Bianchini posted this question about SignWriting on the Sign Language Linguist List (SLLING) today. I will answer next message here on the SignWriting List:

-------------

From: "Claudia S. Bianchini" <chiadu14 at TISCALI.IT>
Date: May 2, 2011 1:16:05 PM PDT
To: SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACC.EDU
Subject: question about 6 configurations of SignWriting

Hello
I'm Claudia Savina Bianchini and I'm a PhD student at ISTC-CNR (in the team created by +Elena Pizzuto+), in Rome.
I'm doing a research on SignWriting and I've a question about some SW configurations.
There are 6 strange configurations (where there is a deficit of possible orientation) and in those 6 I really can't understand how I've to put my fingers... Is there someone that can explain them to me?

The configurations are (from ISWA-2008):

http://img148.imageshack.us/f/presentazionestandard1s.jpg/ (please click this link if you can't view the picture)

My problem (for glyphes from 1 to 7) is that I've searched everywhere but I can't find a translation for "heel" that has nothing to do with feet. So my question is: is there feet's configuration on SW? and, if yes... why? I've never seen any deaf making configurations with their feet!
And I really can't understand the explanation for glyphe 8.

Maybe all this problem is caused by my horrible English?!?!

Thanks a lot to all

Claudia S. Bianchini
PhD Student
Univ. Paris 8 / Univ. Studi Perugia / ISTC-CNR-Roma
(chiadu14 at tiscali.it)

Non temiamo alcun confronto: Tiscali ha l'Adsl più veloce d'Italia!
Risparmia con Tutto Incluso Light: Voce + Adsl 20 mega a soli 17,95 € al mese per 12 mesi.
http://abbonati.tiscali.it/telefono-adsl/prodotti/tc/tuttoincluso_light/?WT.mc_id=01fw

-------

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List: