Recently approved MA Thesis on SignWriting

Bill Reese wreese01 at TAMPABAY.RR.COM
Mon May 9 18:16:09 UTC 2011

Great!  I'm glad they're working together on it.  I hope great things
come out of the collaboration.

I know I brought this up before but I'm wondering, Stuart, if a concept
of relative coordinate systems was discussed in your thesis?   I did a
quick scan so I'm not sure if it was.  What I mean by "relative" is a
coordinate system that's related to a previous symbol in a sign
according to that sign's signspelling sequence.

The coordinate for the first symbol would be in absolute coordinates
according to the signbox, then the second symbol would relate to the
first symbol according to a coordinate system using a point of the first
symbol as the origin.

Doing it that way may allow establishing matrices of symbol pairing in a
sign.   I would imagine this to be similar to "kerning" and possibly
define distances according to the pairs rotation of not only themselves
but to each other.  Similar to what you were saying about establishing
minimum distances.

About the overlap of symbols that you mention.  I was wondering if it
couldn't also be solved by a matrix of symbol pairing so that a
particular matrix value would indicate overlap - say, a value of -1.
On the other hand, do you think it would be possible to create totally
different symbols that are overlaps of two symbols?  I ask this as
that's what's done in other languages when there's an overlap.  For
instance, "æ" which looks like "a" and "e" overlapped but is it's own
symbol.  I would hazard a guess that separate symbols are only possible
when there's only a few.

Bill