Adam will present SW at Gallaudet University => SW & ELAN

Claudia S. Bianchini chiadu14 at TISCALI.IT
Tue May 10 16:52:37 UTC 2011

Hello all!
I've followed an ELAN formation some times ago (at Univ.
Paris8) and I've a question: is our interest to use complete SW
transcriptions or just use SW to annotate some particular phenomenas?

If the answer is that we just want to use SW to annotate eye gaze,
configurations, head movements... we can create a font containing the
SW glyphes we want (one for eyegaze, one for configurations...) and use
our personal font in ELAN's tiers (this is easy to do in ELAN, if I
well remember)
But if our interest is to use a complete sign
transcribed with SW... the problem is different! I think it's
impossible to create a font where every "lettre" is a complete SW's
sign, because of the high variability of signs (if we want to use signs
like gloses, why don't we use directly gloses??? horrible idea! O_o ).
So we'll need something that connect our SW's transcription to ELAN.
Why not thinking of creating a video that is a chain of SW's signs,
synchronized with the video you have transcribed: is possibile to use 2
video at the same time in ELAN. So we'll have the original video and
the transcription in SW. Then we can also use SW to annotate specifics
phenomenas, but we will not reduce SW to a linear succession of symbols
(like Stokoe notation or HamNoSys).
This is only an intuition. I've
never used ELAN for annotation. I use to annotate by hand or with a
software that Fabrizio Borgia has created for me.
Claudia

Il
10/05/2011 00:09, Charles Butler ha scritto:
> I had spoken to the
developers of ELAN some time ago about creating an interface for ELAN
and SignWriting. As there is an interface for non Roman-alphabets,
there might be a way to get SW interfaces to work.

> Charles Butler

VALENCIACC.EDU
> Sent: Mon, May 9, 2011 5:03:25 PM
> Subject: Re: Adam
will present signwriting at Gallaudet University

> Thanks all for
your comments and wishes. I was hoping that I'd be the one to let you
all know, but word of mouth has beat me again. ;-) Actually I have been
focusing on finishing up my semester which has turned out a success.

> I may have a faulty memory, which wouldn't be a first for me, but I
think it was here on this list where someone had mentioned about using
SignWriting together with ELAN. If anyone knows what I am talking
about, let me know because I think it might be something I can mention
when presenting my paper.

Erika Hoffmann wrote:

>> That's great! There are some influential
scholars participating - I'm glad Adam will be able to bring SW to
their attention!

<chazzer3332000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>>     I am so sorry that I will
not be able to be there as I have prior commitment.  Please make sure
that Rachel Channon gets this opportunity to interact.

Charles Butler

>>     From: Stefan Wöhrmann
<stefanwoehrmann at GOOGLEMAIL.COM>

friends ...

>>     Congratulation Adam to
be one of the presenters ... This is great!

>>     Stefan

>>     We are pleased to announce a
workshop titled _Building sign language corpora in North America_ .

>>     Purpose of workshop: There are many definitions of a
language corpus. One such definition offered by McEnery, Xiao and Tono
(2006) is a collection of texts in a given language that is
representative, comprehensive, accessible, machine-readable and
searchable. There are several ongoing language corpora projects focused
on the documentation of sign languages in countries like Australia ,
The Netherlands, the United Kingdom and Germany . To date, there have
been several workshops in Europe on various aspects of building a sign
language corpus (e.g., the SLCN series of workshops co- organized by
Onno Crasborn and colleagues). This workshop will provide a much needed
opportunity for researchers based in the US and Canada to share
experiences from their work in this area, as well as share ideas for
future projects.

>>     Program information: The workshop
will begin on Saturday, May 21, 2011, at 8:30 am and take place at
Gallaudet University , in the Student Academic Center (SAC), Room 1011.
The complete list of presenters is as follows:

>>     • Ted
Supalla ( University of Rochester )

>>     • Christian
Rathmann ( University of Hamburg )

>>     • Trevor Johnston
( Macquarie University ), Adam Schembri (La Trobe University), Kearsy
Cormier , Jordan Fenlon, and Ramas Rentelis (University College London)
“Type-token matching in annotated SL corpora: Examples from the Auslan
and BSL corpus projects”

>>     • Rosalee Wolfe, John C.
McDonald, and Jerry Schnepp ( DePaul University ) “Synthetic and
acquired corpora: meeting at the annotation”

>>Ronnie B. Wilbur, Kadir Gokgoz and Robin Shay ( Purdue University ),
Aleix Martinez ( Ohio State University ) “Mechanics and Issues in
Making ASL Databases Available”

>>     • Carol Neidle (
Boston University )

>>     • Kearsy Cormier, Jordan Fenlon
and Ramas Rentelis (University College London), Adam Schembri (La Trobe
University), Trevor Johnston ( Macquarie University ) “Multiple access
levels and multiple interfaces of the BSL and Auslan Corpora”

>>     • Jonathan Keane (University of Chicago), Susan Rizzo
(University of Chicago), Diane Brentari (Purdue University), and Jason
Riggle (University of Chicago) “Phonetic coding of fingerspelling”

>>     • Adam Frost (Gallaudet University)
>>
>>     “Sign
Language Corpus using SignWriting”

>>     • Diane Lillo-
Martin, University of Connecticut

>>     In addition, on
Sunday, May 22, 2011, from 9 am to noon, there will be an ELAN training
session by Julie Hochgesang for those who are interested.

>>     Conference languages: We welcome presentations in ASL or
International Sign (IS), and will provide ASL/English and ASL/IS
interpretation.

>>     Registration information:
Registration is free but required and due by May 16, 2011. To register,
please send an email to sign.corpus.workshop at gmail.com with the
following

>>     information:
>>

>>     (i) your name
>>

>>     (ii) your affiliation
>>
>>     (iii) your email address
>>

>>     (iv) whether you wish to participate in the ELAN training on
Sunday

>>     There is a fee of $10 for lunch on Saturday –
please bring this in cash with you to the workshop.

Lodging information: A block of rooms has been reserved at the Hilton
Garden Inn, which is located next to the New York Avenue/Gallaudet
metro station on the Red Line and about 8-10 minutes walking distance
from the workshop venue. For workshop participants, the hotel is
offering a discounted rate of $129/night plus 14.5% taxes. The
discounted rate is good until May 13, 2011. To make reservations,
please call the toll-free number 1-800-HILTONS or the hotel directly at
202-408-4870 and identify yourself as a member of the Corpus Workshop
group when making the reservation. Alternatively, you may book online
at the following link and use the booking code CORPU.

>>     http://hiltongardeninn.hilton.com/en/gi/hotels/index.jhtml?
ctyhocn=DCANMGI

>>     Co-organizers:
>>
>>     Julie
Hochgesang, Gene Mirus, and Gaurav Mathur (Gallaudet University)

>> --
>> Erika Hoffmann-
Dilloway

Non temiamo alcun confronto: Tiscali ha l'Adsl più veloce d'Italia!Risparmia con Tutto Incluso Light: Voce + Adsl 20 mega a soli 17,95 € al mese per 12 mesi.http://abbonati.tiscali.it/telefono-adsl/prodotti/tc/tuttoincluso_light/?WT.mc_id=01fw