Private SignWriting Seminars in San Diego California with Val ; -)

Wed Nov 2 17:49:08 UTC 2011

SignWriting List
November 2, 2011

Hello George and everyone -
It is such a pleasure to receive so many messages regarding the SignWriting Seminars I will be offering now - I love to think back on all the wonderful people who have visited and lived with me here in the past, and how we have a bright future together...

Of course I know it costs money for people to travel to me, here in La Jolla, but once you arrive there are many benefits to the visit, not only because we will share our SignWriting work together, but also because La Jolla is a university town.

The University of California at San Diego (UCSD) is in La Jolla, which includes a well-known Linguistic and ASL Communication department, directed by Dr. Carol Padden. Researcher Rachel Mayberry is at UCSD, and has worked with research that I find fascinating, related to second-language learners. La Jolla also has Salk Institute, next door to UCSD, and the famous Dr. Ursula Bellugi and the late Dr. Edward Klima used to have their labs there, and Ursula still does research in her lab at Salk Institute.

Salk Institute played an important role in the history of SignWriting, because back in the 1980's Dr.Bellugi and others were doing research with born-Deaf native signers, and many of the born-Deaf native signers who worked at Salk Institute became our Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting (the DAC), including Lucinda O'Grady Batch, George Butch Zein, Kevin Clark, and a long list of other Deaf native signers, plus hearing linguists who worked with Dr. Bellugi, such as Dr. Karen van Hoek and others, also had influence on the development of SignWriting in that era - one of them, Dr. Karen Emmorey, now has her own lab at another university in San Diego, SDSU (San Diego State University), and several of our DAC members are working with Karen.

http://emmoreylab.sdsu.edu/

So when you come to learn SignWriting and stay in my home, we can make appointments for you, to visit these research centers.

And George, if your age ever allows you to travel again, I do hope you will come to visit us. My folks are age 90 and 91, and they are still actively interested and in support of SignWriting and its benefits to the world...

I moved here to La Jolla in 1985, so I guess we missed each other by a decade!

I am happy you are here on the List with us -

Val ;-)

---------