flipping and moving - what symbol

Ingvild Roald iroald at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 15 09:33:18 UTC 2011

Hi Val and all,

thanks for this dicussion. I felt suddenly at loss - even in spelling my ordinary Norwegian (spoken) language I do that sometimes ...

With your writing, we could read this as rotations around the axes on the side of the little finger, which is what they do in the sign. We could also read this sign as you say - no sideward movemnet. Then the hands would just turn upside donw and land in the same place as before.

Imagine the hands are laying on a tabletop. They stay in touch with that tabletop on the side of the little finger throuout the sign (a bit difficult to do with the beginning handshape - try changing that to flat hand - like opening a double window on a christmas calendar.

Discussing this is a good thing - onne gets to think things through. Actually, I beleive the sign is very readable both in your writing and in mine - thanks

Ingvild

Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 12:36:34 -0800
From: sutton at SIGNWRITING.ORG
Subject: Re: flipping and moving - what symbol
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU

SignWriting ListNovember 14, 2011
Well, the way you wrote it, there is a tiny bit of traveling happening because you wrote traveling arrows…If you want it to be completely in place with zero travel to the right and left, then you would use a Rotation Symbol without an arrow, that means staying in one place while you rotate…that is why we developed the Rotation Symbols to begin with…because we did not always want to travel, and if we stayed in one place, we needed to know which handshape happened first and which one second, without using a traveling arrow - so that is why the Rotation Symbols were developed - Here is an example of staying in one place with no travel side:

On Nov 14, 2011, at 11:06 AM, Ingvild Roald wrote:Thanks - I did look for the travel-with-rotation symbol , but writing both posistions would be enough, it seems. Sorry I did send two signs - the questen was about the one on the right. The first one means 'equal', the second one 'equation'. The hands flip/ rotate with the little finger side as axis - no separate travel, just the one that results from this 180 degree rotation. Agree this is enough - just had to make sure - this is part of a paper I just wrote for a terminology journal ...

Ingvild