News handshapes in Brazilian Sign Language (LSB/Libras)

Mon Nov 21 20:19:15 UTC 2011

SignWriting List
November 21, 2011

Hello Madsen!
Thank you for this email. Your English is very good and we can understand you. Thank you for writing in English, but if it is easier for you to write in Portuguese, you can, because we too can translate it in Google!

Actually there are specifics on SignWriting in Brazil, as we have already written about in other emails. If you have studied at the Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina  then I would assume that you have my textbook translated from English/ASL to Portuguese/LIBRAS by Marianne Stumpf. Go to:

SignWriting in Brazil
http://www.signwriting.org/brazil

and download the textbook. It is number 5 on that web page, and also, I am sure you know the work of Fernando Capovilla and the big Novo Deit LIBRAS dictionary published at the University of Sao Paulo?  and the work done by Dr. Antonio Carlos da Rocha Costa in Porto Alegre?

It will be wonderful if you continue to spread SignWriting in Brazil. Thank you for your work.

We never used to differentiate between the thumb close to the fist, and the thumb slightly at an angle from the fist, but now in the ISWA 2010 we have both choices. I think that is mostly what has been bothering you and why you asked the questions you did. If you prefer to have the thumb line close to the square for the fist that is fine with me. You are welcome to choose which symbols feel best to you. But I am not an expert on LIBRAS - I only developed the symbols and encouraged them to be placed in software…but I am not a linguist and do not know LIBRAS, so it is important to ask others who know LIBRAS what they think. And most likely you will get many opinions and it may be hard to decide too.

Most writing systems do not have so many choices. So we all have the hard jobs of making decisions as to what choices are best for each language and I have to leave that decision to you and others who know LIBRAS. These hand symbols, with the thumb tight or a little at an angle, may not have a different meaning in LIBRAS. If it is only a matter of style…perhaps some people have thumbs that will not close so tightly, or perhaps your printer has lumpy ink and when you print the hand symbols with the tight lines they blend together with the square for the fist and you cannot see the thumb line any more - these funny little things can influence the way people write and spell -

Here are some of the symbols you are asking about  - choose what you feel is best - they are very close and perhaps either choice will mean the same thing? Maybe it doesn't matter which ones people choose?

------