android app for SignPuddle US dictionary

Sun Nov 20 19:04:09 UTC 2011

SignWriting List
November 20, 2011

Hello Sky and everyone -
I only wish I could test your software, SkySigns, right now…I do not own a cell phone that is sophisticated like all of yours…I just have one for emergencies because I do not travel so we just have one in our car just in case, so I am not skilled at testing SignWriting software on mobile devices, but I can tell you that someday it would be wonderful to be able to use SignPuddle, or your software SkySigns, to send SignMail…email written in SignWriting in different sign languages...to each other - whether it is cell phone to cell phone or cell phone to computer or computer to whatever - right now we can compose and send SignMail to each other in SignWriting from SignPuddle Online. Try it. Go to a SignPuddle dictionary, like the ASL Dictionary:

http://www.signbank.org/SignPuddle1.5/index.php?ui=1&sgn=4

...and press the Translate button on the far left of the screen. Then type the English gloss for the signs you want and the dictionary finds those signs. Then you choose the variation of the sign you want and then push the Update button and that gives you the sentence you want in ASL. If you want to do it more sophisticated writing, you can then load the sentence into SignText for editing, or you can just push the SignMail button to send it as an email.

I am going out the door to a family event here, and cannot send a SignMail right now, but I hope others can do that, or perhaps you can compose one -

If your software could do a SignMail based on your dictionary, that would be a wonderful fun and informative feature -

Val ;-)

-------

Sutton at SignWriting.org

SignWriting