AW: Please help us test SignWriter Studio Beta 5!!

Ingvild Roald iroald at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 17 09:57:48 UTC 2011

I agree, the Mundbildschrift and the Mundbilder the Gebäredenschrift are not the same - but very useful.

The writing of 'words' beside the mouth was / is just a lazy (and formerly only) way of writing the different mouthing of signs that are otherwise similar. With Mundbildschrift this can be done directly - so I do not really miss this oprtunity to write the latin letters near the mouth. Whith the latin letters the connection to the Norwegian word is stressed, but letters are not really part of SignWriting

I have looked at DELEGS - and I am refering to it in my lecture later this week in the Netherlands - as I am to your Mundbildschrift - I am recomending the use of SignWriting as part of making deaf children literate

Ingvild

Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 11:46:32 +0200
From: stefanwoehrmann at GOOGLEMAIL.COM
Subject: AW: Please help us test SignWriter Studio Beta 5!!
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU

Hi Ingvild and friends,

it is interesting to
understand that you agree with my concept that it is necessary to add
information coming from the lips- and tongue movements in order to “understand”
the exact meaning of a given sign.

“....Signs that are the same in the hands and
other movements, differ in the mouthing and make distinctive signs that way. NSL
claims to have no homonyms (two or more signs that look exatly the same but
have different meaning) because of this....”

Well my invention of Mundbildschrift is not the same
as my set of “Mundbilder in der GebaerdenSchrift”

Nevertheless – thanks to the studies of Erica Hoffmann
with my students we found out that it is not correct simply to add the letters of
a word (spoken language) next to the sign in order to avoid “Mundbilder”

To my very surprise I had to understand – and this
has been such an amazing experience – that even little deaf children having
no idea of how to write the spoken word – show almost mouth – and tongue
movement patterns that almost look like the same – as a “informed”
signer would perform.

Mouth movements are part of the usual guessing game
trying to understand from lip-reading.  From my actual point of view these
Mundbilder which I defined to stand for special patterns of movements that
might result in specific sounds of a given spoken language come pretty close to
the best representation of what can be seen (!!!) looking at a signing person.

And you are right – SignPuddle – so far
does not allow to type latin letters – as you could do with the DOS
Program. Did you get the chance to look at the German new softare Delegs?

Now you get the chance to look for your signs almost
loke in the good old SWDOS –program.

In addition to that you are able to change the preferred
sign alternative in every document without any problem. You can copy this
specific sign and paste it with this same variation. You can write the best
translation of the signwriting  sentence beneath this line and hide or show one
or both lines! This is the perfect tool to support deaf students to improve
their spoken language skills. Just look at the attached gif.

Our team is still busy, busy, busy to complete our
vision of an almost perfect SignWriting – software program to support
this idea which is the motto of our Editor: “Delegs” = Deutsch
lernen mit GebaerdenSchrift"  = learn
German assisted by SignWriting".

All you need is a well fed dictionary and this
wonderful program.

All the best

Stefan