SignWriter Studio Beta 5.2!!

Jonathan duncanjonathan at YAHOO.CA
Sat Oct 22 23:27:02 UTC 2011

On 19/10/2011 2:40 PM, Valerie Sutton wrote:
> SignWriting List
> October 19, 2011
>
> Hello Jonathan, Bill and Andre -
>
> Our electricity returned in my office and I very happily turned all my
> computers back on - amazing how dependent we are on electricity!
>
> I just followed your instructions, Jonathan, and it worked...very happy!
>
> SignWriter Studio is a good program - It has a future and if you can
> get the import from SignPuddle to work we will use it daily as a
> desktop alternative and it adds some new features that I really like -
> I love the rotation wheels for the symbols and how you can click on a
> rotation in the wheel and see the rotation of the symbol - a very
> visual way to teach about our 8 rotations and flops - thank you for
> understanding our system so well -
>
> Regarding my problems starting the program...the funny part to this
> story is that I did get very close before...I opened the
> Modules/Dictionary before...but I didn't realize one small thing - to
> press the ENTER or RETURN key - now - don't laugh at me, everyone -
> but I never thought of it and so of course I was not able to search - ha!
>
> So I wonder if you could place a Search button on the screen next to
> the Gloss search fields? that says Search Dictionary, or something
> like that - that would be the equivalent of the ENTER key, in case
> someone doesn't realize there is data in there...both should work -
> the Enter key and the Search button.
That sounds like a very good idea.  I will add a search button to the
dictionary.

> That is different than your SignSearch button that doesn't seem to
> work right now - what does the SignSearch button represent?
It's for searching through the dictionary by symbol instead of roman
letters.

> Plus I would add, if you could, that a dictionary module that has data
> in it, opens by default to the all the data being listed, as if the
> user had already pushed the ENTER button..that would give people
> immediate access to the all the data and would make SignWriter Studio
> feel like a more accessible program - more user friendly -
But then if someone latter, imported a signpuddle, it would load all the
signs each time they opened the dictionary.  The feature would turn into
a nuisance.  Maybe another button called show all would be a better
idea.  What do you think?

> I wish we could make the dictionary window smaller but still have it
> open, so we have access to the desktop too, while the dictionary
> window is open - I am not as savvy with Windows but on the Mac we can
> make Windows smaller and have many windows open - I am sure you have
> that too, but I could only get it to be big, or close, or go down in a
> Dock, but not be simply a smaller window - when the documents section
> can function, can we have both the dictionary and document windows
> open side by side?
For some reason the restore button is showing such a small window when
it isn't full screen.   But that's not the way is it supposed to be.
Yes they will both be able to be open side by side.

> Keep up the good work!

Thank you.  You too!!!

> Val ;-)
>
> --------
>

> On Oct 19, 2011, at 12:49 PM, Jonathan wrote:
>

>> On 19/10/2011 9:31 AM, Valerie Sutton wrote:
>>> SignWriting List
>>> October 19, 2011
>>>
>>> Thank you Jonathan, Bill and Andre for posting and testing
>>> SignWriter Studio Beta 5.2.
>>>
>>> I just downloaded it and opened it fine.  But I am still lost as to
>>> how to find actual signs written in SignWriting in the Sample file.
>>> It tells me to open another module and then when I do it either
>>> tells me that that module is not working yet or there are no signs
>>> written there - I realize this seems like a silly problem because I
>>> should know better - I have seen the program working well before and
>>> I really loved it, so I have great hopes we can reach that stage again -
>> Hi Val,
>>     Try this.
>>
>>   A sample one comes with the download.  From the menu select "Open
>> SignWriter Studio File". Look in the folder you installed the
>> software.  Choose the file Sample.SWS.   Go to Modules/Dictionary in
>> the menu.  Type in a word or part of a word to search in the
>> dictionary in the Gloss Search text box.  If you leave it blank and
>> press enter, you will get a full list of everything in the
>> dictionary.  If you double click on a sign writing you will get the
>> SignWriter Editor.
>>
>> I hope this helps.  I would also love to Skype with if you latter.
>>
>> Jonathan
>>

>>> I suggest, Jonathan, that we make a Skype appointment and together
>>> you will teach me what to do step by step and that way you will get
>>> specific feedback.
>>>
>>> Today the electric company in my area claims they will turn off our
>>> electricity for 6 hours for maintenance (smile ;-) so today is not a
>>> good day - but write to me privately and we will find a time and get
>>> SignWriter Studio working -
>>>
>>> And Bill and Andre a special appreciation to both of you - I know
>>> how busy you are - thank you for your efforts -
>>>
>>> Val ;-)
>>>
>>> -------

*  *

sp;*