Greetings from Egypt!

Ryan Fan ryanfan42 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 19 11:25:18 UTC 2012

Hello Val!
Thanks for referring me to the research and the Saudi Arabian SignPuddle.
 I'm sure it will be an interesting comparison in terms of signs and SW
conventions.  I'll try to add an English, Modern Standard Arabic (MSA), and
Egyptian Arabic gloss for each sign, if available.

An important thing to keep in mind about Arabic: "Arabic" is an umbrella
term for many different stratified and overlapping spoken languages.  (This
is an oversimplification; we can discuss in more depth later.)  Many native
speakers are not able to actively distinguish features of their spoken
variety and other varieties, including the MSA used in literature.  The
same appears to hold true for perceptions of the distinction between
Egyptian Sign and what I've seen in Egypt referred to as simply "Arabic
Sign."  Hopefully, some of the data collection I'm trying to do will shed
more light on this subject from a Sign perspective.

Thanks again, and keep on dancing!
-Ryan