LISTSERV and SignWriting Discussions

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon Aug 20 15:06:32 UTC 2012

SignWriting List
August 20, 2012

Hello Maria, Stefan and Christine…

Thank you, Stefan and Christine, for helping Maria - You can see, Maria, how helpful the SignWriting List members are - what a great list!

I am surprised you did not realize that we have four SignWriting List Archives… List members search the List Archives frequently - especially those who are doing research. Erika Hoffman-Dilloway, for example, based research on the phenomena of the SignWriting List, by reading the four Archives…to see how the system changed and the topics that were discussed over the years…and so forth. They are very useful.

And it is because of Bill Reese, that we have Archives 1-3. Without Bill, we would have lost all this important documentation.

When you go to the SignWriting List homepage (that is not the homepage for the SignWriting Site, but the List homepage), as Stefan suggested:

SignWriting List Homepage

You can see links for the four List Archives:

SW List Archive 1: Oct. 1997-April 1998
SW List Archive 2: May 1998-April 2002
SW List Archive 3: May 2002 to present
SW List Archive 4: April 2010 to present

And I assumed you had been a member of SLLING (Sign Language Linguists List) all these years - That is an important List and they do discuss SignWriting and Stefan's work from time to time - you are right - Their main focus is linguistics and sign languages in general…Details of SignWriting we leave to the SignWriting List, but occasional discussions about the ramifications of writing sign languages is relevant to the SLLING List too -

Do you know how to search the SignWriting Sites? Click on the Search Icon at the top of the web pages on the SignWriting sites:

and type in your question…it oftentimes finds discussions in one of the SW List Archives for you - plus there are ways to search each Archive, in the Archive software itself, in Archive 3 and 4…so you should be able to find information…

Keep asking questions -

Val ;-)

--------

-----