NEW! ASL Wikipedia Project on Wikimedia Labs

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Thu Aug 23 16:19:25 UTC 2012

SignWriting List
August 23, 2012

Dear SW List Members...

This is a very exciting and historic time. For years, Steve Slevinski has worked on developing a way for Wikipedia articles to be written in the SignWriting script. The result is the SignWriting MediaWiki Plugin (SWMP). And now we know it is working, because the Wikimedia Foundation, and Wikimedia Labs  has provided space on their server for us to test it. And although there is more software development to be completed, nonetheless, Adam Frost composed and posted the first article for the new ASL Wikipedia located on Wikimedia Labs!

So the new project is still in the "test stage", but we are adding articles while Steve and other technicians work on the technical software aspects in the background. Once we have a good number of articles for readers to enjoy, our test ASL Wikipedia will be reviewed and then we hope, someday, it will be approved to become an "official Wikipedia". That has not happened yet, but we are working towards that goal.

We are very happy to have this gift of server space and encouragement from the Wikimedia Foundation and Labs, and from Wikipedia users around the world…Thank you!

So witness history in the making...

ASL Wikipedia Project on Wikimedia Labs
http://ase.wikipedia.wmflabs.org