Facial expressions

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Fri Dec 7 05:05:39 UTC 2012

SignWriting List
December 6, 2012

Hi Honza -
I notice your illustration is taken from animation? Can you use your animation to show a picture of each facial expression in SignWriting? I would love to use that animation program to create the still photo for each facial expression in SignWriting. How does one get access to that animation, and is it free to use?

We have tried photos in the past and they were never good enough because the human face differs so much. You see, a lot of writing of facial expressions comes from how it "feels" to the signer - not just how it looks to the observer - and so "dreamy eyebrows" is oftentimes used when a person is telling a story - they are imagining a fairy tale or whatever - like "once upon a time, long long ago" and their eyebrows get that "dreamy" look…but it is really a "dreamy feeling on the face" that the signer "feels"…

So we had some frustrations with showing facial expressions through photos, but meanwhile there are definite facial expressions used in storytelling and so forth, in sign languages, and they differ from language to language too…so these do need to be defined and illustrated no doubt - it has never been done yet though - people use the Facial Expression symbols differently around the world - I am delighted they are so useful and have really helped in writing the different sign languages, documented or not… and I am delighted that they have provided Stefan Woehrmann the foundation for his development of SpeechWriting too...

A good research project would be to illustrate and document the usage of the SignWriting Facial Expression symbols around the world - they are used frequently and are very important symbols -

Thank you for bringing this topic up...

Val ;-)

------

--------