Teacher's report from Slovenia

Fri Jan 13 16:52:20 UTC 2012

SignWriting List
January 13, 2012

Hello again, Dusan -

Thank you for this Teacher's Report, which is just what we needed.

Welcome to the SignWriting Literacy Project!

Val ;-)

--------

Teacher's Report
For Participating Teachers

1.     Why do you want to learn SignWriting?

First, because it is something new in our country, interesting and promising.

Second, I believe that Deaf in Slovenia should have opportunity to have beside their own Slovenian sign language a (Slovenian) Signwriting.

And then, it is my duty as a teacher to open my students mind for all different kind of activities which various institutions all over the world have made for Deaf, Deaf Culture ect.

2. What have been some of your past frustrations when teaching?

 The biggest frustration was that I didn’t know SSL at all. At that time I didn’t know that in Slovenia main ideology is oralistic one. So I was pushed in the classroom ten years ago, full of Deaf student with big eyes, thirsty for knowledge, and I didn’t know a sign. And… this is no good in our system! It didn’t change for a bit in this decade, despite of the effort of a small group of enthusiast in our school to change it. There are some small steps in the individual classrooms but not big enough for change the whole system. And because of the Big march of the cochlear implant there is not a lot hope for Deaf future in this country. Nevertheles, as I understand Signwriting, it is a gift, from (wo)man to man . And it is up to us what good we will make for/with it.

3. Are you hoping that SignWriting might help? If so, how?

 To change our system, no. It will make my lectures more interesting as it will be opportunity for Deaf youngsters to enhance their knowledge, Deaf culture in Slovenia etc.

4. The SignWriting Teacher's Forum has a free web page for you and your students, to use in anyway you wish, just as long as it relates to SignWriting. For example, you can post your opinions about SignWriting, or you can post student's writing assignments. How would you like to use your web page?

 First, I have to learn Sigwriting by my self. After that we will see, how this our little project in Slovenia  will go on. There is not much of those who would like to participate in it for now, but I am optimistic.

5. Please write any other information about your group that you would like to share. You are welcome to write as much as you wish. Human interest stories will help us get to know you. It will make following your progress with SignWriting that much more exciting!

Valerie Sutton and the Center for Sutton Movement Writing have my full permission to post this report to the SignWriting Email List, and on the SignWriting Web Site.

Signature of Teacher:___Dušan Dvorščak_________________________________

Date of Signature____13.1.2012______________

Name
Dušan Dvorščak, Zavod za gluhe in naglušne Ljubljana

d.dvorscak at gmail.com

Name of School
Shipping Address of School

Zavod za gluhe in naglušne Ljubljana