Co-ordinating Puddle/s

Fri Jul 6 16:18:57 UTC 2012

On 7/4/12 4:24 AM, MARIA GALEA wrote:
> Hi Steve and the List,
>
> For Maltese Sign Language we have 3 Puddles that have been used - the
> Literature, the Dictionary and the Private Puddle.
>
> I would like to organize the entries so I would like to move things to and
> from these different Puddles. Is there any way I can do this fast without
> having to open each separate entry and copying it into another Puddle and
> then deleting it..?
>
> Thanks!
> maria

Hi Maria,

The best option I can think of would be to download and edit the XML
files directly.  If you downloaded each puddle's XML file, you could use
a text editor to quickly copy and paste entries between the XML documents.

The biggest problem would be that each entry in a puddle must have a
unique ID number.  If you copied entries from one puddle to another, you
would have to make sure the IDs were unique.  Looking at 2 of the Malta
puddles, it looks like all of the IDs are less that 1,000.  So to copy
an entry from one puddle to the other, the safest way would be to add
1,000 to the ID numbers.

Here is an example:
<entry id="2" cdt="1208941776" mdt="1208941776" usr="LSM">
   <term>M518x515S10e00482x485S17610502x499</term>
   <term><![CDATA[GHOXRIN]]></term>
   <term><![CDATA[TWENTY]]></term>
</entry>

If you wanted to copy this from one puddle to another, you would cut it
from one XML file and paste it into the other XML making sure to change
the *id="2"* to be *id="1002"*.

It's not the most elegant solution, but it could work.  If you want to
do this, I can work with you.  We would lock the target puddles so that
they could not be edited.  You would download and update the XML files.
Then I could import the new XML files and overwrite the puddles.

I can't think of an easier way to do this.

Regards,
-Steve