Co-ordinating Puddle/s

Bill Reese wreese01 at TAMPABAY.RR.COM
Fri Jul 6 18:26:09 UTC 2012

A fast way to do what Steve is suggesting for the ID numbers would be to
do a search and replace in OpenOffice Writer.   Here's how:

In the Find and Replace Window click on the "More Options" button then
select the "Regular Expressions" box.

Now, because the existing numbers are single, double and triple digits,
we would need to do a find and replace for each set.

Start with the set of the largest numbers - triple digits (ie, 122, 456,
786, etc)

In the Find box, put this:  id="[:digit:]{3}"
In the Replace box, put this:  id="1&
Click on Replace All (for example: this will change id="122" to
id="1id="122", an intermediate step
Now do a search and replace for 1id=" and replace with 1 (this will
change the example from id="1id="122"  to id="1122", which is what you want.

You do it this way so that you are adding 1000 to all the numbers
instead of just appending "100" to the numbers, which would result in
"1002", "10044", "100122", which is not what you want.   Also we have to
start with the largest so that we don't inadvertently find the wrong
numbers as we process the file.  For instance, if we changed "2" to
"12", then when we search for 2 digit numbers next we would find that
and change it to "112", which is not what you want.

So the next search and replace would be for 2 digit numbers.
Search for  id="[:digit:]{2}" and Replace with id="1&
Then search for 1id=" and Replace with 10  (notice this is different
than the first set of numbers, for which we replaced with just 1)
For example: this will change 44 to 1044

The last search and replace would be for single digit numbers
Search for  id="[:digit:]{1}" and Replace with id="1&
Then search for 1id=" and Replace with 100
For example: this will change 2 to 1002

Of course, if you're not sure that you don't have more than 1000 entries
in your file, you can start by searching for 4 digit numbers.  If you do
find 4 digit numbers then you'll want to increase the numbers by 10000,
not 1000 and take that into account when changing the intermediate step
for each set of digits.

Bill