An alphabet for a specific sign language from the ISWA 2010

MARIA GALEA maria.azzopardi at UM.EDU.MT
Sun Jul 29 21:10:13 UTC 2012

Once again thank you Charles and Val for your feedback!

I understand that the symbol frequency is a good way to find out symbols
used to write a specific language - and it can be done - it's a wonderful
tool in Puddle (thank you Steve!) and I have used it very recently to
analyze the Maltese Sign Language alphabet. However it's not the intention
of the work to figure out other languages alphabets etc. What I need to
know is whether this work has been carried out by other researchers or
teachers.

I am fully aware (as i have taught SignWriting this way in the past also)
that the ISWA 2010 can be used as it is to write any sign language - and
so it's natural that the process of identifying the alphabet of a language
may be bypassed. That is, you can still teach the writing of a specific
language WITHOUT having yet discovered the alphabet, because ALL symbols
of any alphabet are there and ready in the ISWA 2010.

However just to summarize one small finding from my work - for Maltese
Sign Language, 268 base symbols are used from the ISWA's 652. On further
analysis the number may be reduced to 248 symbol.

So Maltese Sign Language has an alphabet of 248 symbols - now once this
work is completed - future manuals for the writing of Maltese sign
language need not cover the 403 base symbols that are NOT used, are NOT
part of this specific language. See the point I'm after? There may be
benefits from having the alphabet set.

This is one very thin slice of the work, there is a long way to go...

maria