AW: AW: Mouth symbols

Adam Frost icemandeaf at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 19 03:45:08 UTC 2012

Stefan,

I don't want you to think that I don't think that Mundbilder or SpeechWriting doesn't have use. I actually think quite the opposite. I have actually used it in my writing to show when someone is mouthing a word, where that word is very important. I just don't see Rafaela's question as how to write the mouthing of the words "brumm" and "papa", but as common mouth movement or gestures in LGP. I may be wrong in seeing Rafaela's question as something different because I am not a native to LGP. Having said that, I agree with out that there shouldn't be a guessing game when the exact movements are very important. Since I am assuming that these are common mouth movements within LGP, it is most likely that there are several nuance differences in how different people do the mouth movements and therefore would actually be more of a guessing game to be so exact with something that people have never thought about.

It's like in ASL, there are several mouth gestures that people do that are not always done the same. For example, the video that I did for "brumm" might be done with a more pouted lips if it were done by my sister or puffed cheeks if it were done by my younger brother, but they are all the same meaning. The way that I wrote it could be read and understood to mean the same thing by each of us. This is very different than if we were mouthing each other's names because the exact mouth movement is very important. So I see mouthing and mouth movements as two different things with mouthing benefiting from SpeechWriting. I hope that helps make clear why I chose to write they way that I did.

Adam